from Andy Blakey at TCF SAS MSC Grays
The Lightship Cafe at Grays Beach, badly damaged in a fire, is to re-open.
We are looking
- to run the Lightship Cafe next year
- for volunteers who would like to serve the community and have an opportunity to talk to people
- for people to help, cook, serve, wash up, set up and pack down
We already have had some members of the general public respond and would greatly appreciate people from other churches. It would be a case of being church in the community for the community.
It is on a Saturday – all the details are on the flyer below and linked to the left of this article.
The Lightship Cafe Story
- Our first 3 months running from January until March 2012 were a great success.
- The feeling in the community was that it was something different, a place where people were made to feel welcome.
- A number of young people had their first taste of providing customer service
- We served 129 breakfasts, made 245 cups of tea and 139 cups of coffee and toasted 153 panninis
- We even manged to sell 17 buckets and spades and 1 pair of sunglass, not bad considering it was winter!
We are now off for the summer but will be back in the Autumn.
The success of this project is only down to the hard work of the volunteers. To run successfully later in the year we will need a pool of around 50 volunteers to serve on a rota basis. No previous experience is necessary and training will be given. You just need to be over 14 years old and willing. There are roles for catering staff, washer uppers, waiters and waitresses and till operators.
If you would like to be part of the team contact firstname.lastname@example.org – Bev Hoyte is coordinating volunteers.