Tim Harrold represented Transformation Thurrock at a meeting of London Borough Champions at the More Than Gold office in London on Tuesday 22 February 2012.
After the Winter Olympics took place in Vancouver, Canada, in 2010, many churches expressed profound regret because they did not get involved…
A lot of information was shared, the substance of which is as follows:
- This will be the biggest prayer ‘meeting’ in recent UK history
- An opportunity to mobilise local prayer
- Churches can get involved by offering their local councils stewards and people to clean-up
- There maybe opportunities for detached ‘pastoring’ afterwards (not unlike street pastors)
- The Torch’s route will be made official 6 weeks beforehand
- A ‘Praise Bus’ will go ahead of the Torch along entire route on mainland UK
- There will also be a ‘mopping-up’ prayer team following the Torch
- see www.morethangold.org.uk/Torchrelay
- see MTG Resource ’70 Day Cascade of Prayer’ PDF – http://www.morethangold.org.uk/uploads/file/Shine%20as%20flame%20travels%20-%2070%20days%20pdf%20Feb%202012.pdf
- More volunteers required
- Around 200 signed up so far – always room for more!
- see www.morethangold.org.uk/gamespastors
- Team Heathrow volunteers also required
- see http://www.teamheathrow.com/
- Available to work with churches – so why not book one?
- They are available
- to do one day tournaments
- as bands to play at events
- see http://www.morethangold.org.uk/outreach/mission-and-service-teams.html
- as bands to play at events
Athlete Family Homestay
- “To their Moms, they’ll always be kids” – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSn5Z7EC4ME
- This represents a unique opportunity to engage with Olympics / Paralympics
- The Olympics organisers have awarded this aspect of MTG with an “Inspired by London 2012” marque
- You can help by:
- becoming a Homestay host
- becoming a local Homestay team leader
- volunteering to meet and greet at transport hubs and visitor centres
- see http://www.morethangold.org.uk/hospitality/host-an-athlete-s-family.html
For other information see www.morethangold.org.uk
… and come to the Champions Lunch at Socketts Heath Baptist Church at 12noon on Tuesday 28 February
- Going For Gold – Youth & Children’s Training Day at Romford Baptists on Saturday 3 March
- Get Set – training day for everyone, at St Angela’s Ursuline School, West Ham on Saturday 31 March – FREE TRAVEL AVAILABLE!
- Torch Route Prayer Walk – Saturday 3 March: Following what maybe the route of the Olympic Torch when it comes to Grays on 6 July. Start at The Oaks pub at 10am, walk down to Grays Baptist Church for coffee, then continue through town and out to the Treacle Mine pub. Preparing the way, clearing the air, healing the land, blessing the community. For more info please contact Tim on 07 929 878 089.
To find out more, see the links to the left of this screen.