from Jean Catton at Grays Baptist Church
Samaritan’s Purse have again asked Grays Baptist Church to be a “Drop-off Point” in Grays for the annual OPERATION CHRISTMAS CHILD Christmas Shoebox Appeal.
Samaritan’s Purse will be collecting the boxes after 18 November, so this gives plenty of time for schools, churches and individuals to deposit their boxes before this date.
Grays Baptist Church will be open to receive the boxes at the following times:
- Mondays to Fridays 10am to 2pm
- Saturdays 10am to 12noon
If these times are inconvenient then please contact Jean Catton on 01 375 374 275 to make other arrangements.
Samaritan’s Purse says, “It may be small, but your gifts in a shoebox could change a child’s life. For some of the world’s most disadvantaged children, your shoebox could be the first Christmas present they have ever received in their lives.”
If you’d like to fill a shoebox, here’s what to do:
1 Shoebox – Find an empty medium-sized shoebox (18 x 30 x 13cm). Wrap the lid and box separately in wrapping paper.
2 Boy or girl? Choose which!
3 Fill your box with gifts – Use the gifts ideas list (see below) to inspire you. Don’t put anything in from the DON’T list! Secure the shoebox lid with a rubber band.
What can and can’t be used to fill your shoebox?
• Toys – something to love (bear, soft toy, tennis ball, jigsaw, yo-yo, cars, doll, make-up etc.)
• Educational supplies – something to do (felt tip pens, pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, rubber, colouring book, notepad, picture/puzzle book, stickers etc.)
• Hygiene items – something to use (toothbrush, toothpaste, hairbrush, comb, bar of wrapped soap, etc.)
• Other items – something to eat (sweets with sell-by date to be at least March 2010) or wear (gloves, scarf, sunglasses, cap, hat, bangles etc.)
• Food (chocolate, crisps, biscuits, tinned food, cakes etc.)
• Medicine (or vitamins etc.)
• War related items (toy guns, soldiers or knives)
• Clothing (other than listed above)
• Fragile items (glass containers or mirrors)
• Liquids of any kind inc. shampoo, toiletries etc.
• Dangerous items (marbles, scissors etc.)
• Anything of a political or racial nature
For more information please go to http://www.samaritans-purse.org.uk/operation-christmas-child.