Paul Cave, Port Chaplain with the Sailors’ Society – based at the Tilbury Seafarers’ Centre – has been in touch with Transformation Thurrock about this year’s Christmas Appeal. “Last year, with your help,” he told TT, “we were able to distribute 2090 parcels to Seafarers calling at Tilbury and other berths on the Thames and Medway rivers.” Every parcel contained toiletries and woollen items, and also a portion of gospel-based literature.
“We’re are repeating the appeal again this Christmas,” said Paul, “so we’re in need of items to make up the parcels.” The items are:
– Toothbrushes (singles pre-wrapped)
– Toothpaste (tubes)
– Soaps / flannels
– Shampoo (small sizes)
– Shower gel (small sizes)
– Nivea cream
– Woollen hats / scarves / gloves / neck warmers (patterns available)
– Christmas cards
Parcel packing will take place on 25 November, so it would be helpful to have any contributions before this date – just bring them down to the Seafarers’ Centre. Let’s see if we can get up to 2500 parcels this year and give these seafarers from across the globe a very Merry Thurrock Christmas and let them know that Jesus loves them!
Volunteer Minibus Drivers needed at Tilbury Seafarers Centre
Paul has also asked Transformation Thurrock to put out an appeal for the volunteer drivers so urgently needed at the Tilbury Seafarers Centre. An outline of what this would entail:
– The work consists of transporting Seafarers in the Centre’s 14 seater minibus from their ships to the Centre and return them to their ship after
– The hours are 5 to 10pm
– Drivers are needed on the following days: Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays
– A regular one day a week by any one volunteer is preferable
– Applicants should be responsible mature persons with a clean driving licence and capable of driving a mini bus
– There would be opportunity of befriending Seafarers and sharing Christ with them. Discretion and diplomacy are of course necessary.
– All prospective drivers must have the recommendation of their church ministers
Paul Cave can be contacted either by mobile on 077 2163 0672 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re a minister or church secretary reading these requests, please advertise them to your congregation. Many thanks.